General

12 months old baby burnt to death in Calabar

A one year old baby has been burnt to death in Calabar in fire caused by candle light at a thatch house.

 

The incident happened at Eta Agbor area of Calabar Municipality on Oct. 9.

 

The charred remains of the house was what was left when the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) visited the scene.

 

Mother of the child, Ms Glory Etim-Akpan, 19, told NAN that her child was sick, and so she went out to a pharmacy in the area to buy drugs and pampers for her.

 

Etim-Akpan said she left the deceased child, Kate Dickson, at home sleeping, while the candle light was burning.

 

“My baby was having cough and catarrh, so I went out to buy drugs for her and pampers. Before leaving the house, I lighted a candle on top of a metal plate in the room.

 

“I didnt even get to the pharmacy when I received a call that our house was on fire. It was not up to 30 minutes that I left the house.

 

“Neighbours around heard my baby crying, but they couldn’t intervene. When I came back, we broke the door and I found out that my baby was already burnt to death.

 

“Also, I lost all my properties including my certificates. The fire burnt down my apartment completely,” she lamented.

 

Etim-Akpan said that her life has been shattered because she has no where to stay, no food to eat and no clothes to wear.

 

She appealed to well meaning Nigerians to come to her aid through financial and material support.

 

Source: News Agency of Nigeria