Uncategorized

Boko haram attack: Borno Governor visits victims in Gubio

The Borno State Governor, Prof. Babagana Umara Zulum has visited Faduma-Kolomdi village in Gubio Local Government Area, where the deadly attack by Boko Haram occurred on Tuesday, June 9, 2020.

Faduma-Kolomdi is a nomadic village, located 35 kilometres in North of Gubio, the Headquarters of Gubio Local Government Area.

A survivor told Governor Zulum that 81 residents were killed during the attack on Tuesday and 13 persons got injured, while seven others, including village head, were abducted.

While sympathising with the people over the attack, Governor Zulum urged the Nigerian military to undertake a final onslaught that should put an end to the insurgents in the shores of the Lake Chad.

The Borno State Governor described the attack as barbaric and unfortunate.

In the meantime, he evacuated five injured persons in his convoy, for treatment at an undisclosed hospital.

“Last year, about same number of people were killed in Gajiram like it happened again. This is barbaric. It is very unfortunate. The only solution to end this massacre is by dislodging the insurgents in the shores of Lake Chad. Doing so will require collaborative regional efforts,” Zulum said.

During Governor Zulum’s visit, the only one who escaped the attack, a male adult, gave the account of what transpired on Tuesday.

“The insurgents in gun trucks and armoured tanks came around 10am yesterday, Tuesday. They operated for about six hours and left around 4pm.  They gathered us and said they wanted to deliver a religious sermon to us. They asked us to submit whatever arm we had. Some villagers gave up their dane guns, bow and arrows. The insurgents pretended as if they were not there for any violence. Suddenly, they started shooting at will. Even children and women were not spared. Many were shot at close range, many started running. At the end, many people were killed. We have been burying people since from 10:00pm last night to about 6am this morning. We have buried 49 corpses here while another 32 corpses were taken away by families from the villages around us. The insurgents abducted seven persons including our village head. They went away with 400 cattle” he said.

A resident from a neighbouring village corroborated what Zulum was told by the survivor.

It was observed that the insurgents did not set the place ablaze as they often did in other attacks.

There were fears amongst residents of neighbouring villages that the casualties could be higher than 81, since tracing was still being conducted.

Source: Voice of Nigeria