The FCT Administration (FCTA) Ministerial Taskforce on Enforcement of COVID-19 Protocols has warned residents and business premises against violation of COVID-19 protocols following the arrival of COVID-19 vaccines into the country.
Mr Ihkaro Attah, Head Media and Enlightenment of the enforcement taskforce, issued the warning at a news conference on Sunday in Abuja.
Attah said the Taskforce observed that there has been some form of relaxation amongst many residents on compliance with COVID-19 protocols since the arrival of vaccines into the country.
He reminded the FCT residents that the COVID-19 Health Protection Regulations Act, 2021, signed by President Muhammadu Buhari, was still being enforced in the territory, adding that anybody or business premises found violating regulation would be arrested and prosecuted.
“The vaccination currently ongoing is a welcome development and a good one but that doesn’t mean that we should all go and relax, throw away our facemasks, stop our regular washing of hands and stop observing physical distancing.
“We must ensure that we comply with COVID-19 protocols. The FCT Ministerial Enforcement Taskforce on COVID-19 protocols compliance, set up by the Minister, Malam Muhammad Bello and headed by the FCT Commissioner of Police Bala Ciroma, will continue to intensify enforcement in the coming days.
“We intensified efforts throughout last week, talking to people, going round the city to educate residents to understand that we prepare advocacy and enlightenment than enforcement.
“But it appears that some persons are so relaxed, they believe that the vaccine has come so people can jump out of the water and roll out the drums, no we have not reached that stage yet.
“We just got about four million vaccines and as President Muhammadu Buhari stated very clearly there is a need for us to be very much compliance with the COVID-19 Health Protection Regulations Act because other dosages will be coming, later on, to ensure that Nigerians are heavily vaccinated.
“But before we get the other dosage people must comply with COVID-19 protocols,” Attah said
He revealed that from Monday, March 8, residents would see intensive enforcement to wake people up from slumber, “who feel that the vaccines are out so they can do whatever they like.”
Attah also disclosed that Mobile Court would be sitting in some locations that are already known, warning that anybody that fails to put his facemasks would be arrested and prosecuted.
Similarly, he cautioned that and any business premises that fail to have handwashing points and temperature check device would be prosecuted and get the seal-off order from the court.
“The FCT Minister has directed the Taskforce to really intensify enforcement to ensure that people comply with the Presidential Executive Order on COVID-19,” Attah added.
Source: Voice of Nigeria