Global World Emoji Day Celebration With Maggie Gyllenhaal And LION BABE
PURCHASE, New York, July 14, 2016 /PRNewswire/ — #PEPSIMOJI — From hieroglyphics to pictograms, conversations have certainly evolved – yet throughout history, non-verbal communication has continued to transcend borders, connect cultures and speak volumes, without ever uttering a word. Today, communication around the world has been emojified with the whimsical, emotion brimming and visually surprising rotund digital images moving beyond just the keyboard. In celebration of World Emoji Day on July 17th and the brand’s global #PepsiMoji campaign, Pepsi® is opening an interactive exhibit that follows how love has been communicated through the ages.
Love: From Cave to Keyboard, imagined by Pepsi, explores the evolution of communication through the emotional lens of love – from primitive etchings on earthen walls to illustrative hieroglyphics; icons drawn by hand to icons on the screen; from <3 to today’s evocative global language: emojis.
“Inspired by the communication currency of today’s digital culture and our very own emoji, the iconic Pepsi globe, and the more than 1,000 proprietary PepsiMoji designs created for our global PepsiMoji program – we’re bringing a unique and fun perspective on visual language and cultural conversation with this immersive exhibit,” said Carla Hassan, SVP Global Brand Management, Global Beverage Group, PepsiCo.
The limited engagement exhibit carries attendees through a variety of communication mediums, including:
- Silent Film: In an Art Deco-style theatre-built-for-two, guests will be transported to the era of early awe-inspiring cinema, with a reel celebrating great moments of love captured on silent film narrated by Golden Globe winner Maggie Gyllenhaal
- Music: A sensorial, immersive experience showcases the transformative power of music to convey emotion with special DJ set from Soul / R&B duo LION BABE
- Illustrations & Icons: One of the most iconic female illustrations – the creation of legendary animator Max Fleischer – and a global portrait of love, Betty Boop (#booplove) is getting a modern makeover for today’s generation, complete with her very own PepsiMoji design and layered augmented reality bringing her to life
- Sign Language: A pop-up vignette performed by Amelia Hensley, Daniel Durant, Miles Barbee and Treshelle Edmonds – cast members from the Tony-nominated production of Spring Awakening, produced by Deaf West Theater – depicts the story of young love blooming over first date jitters, told completely through the beautiful and intensely expressive medium of sign language
- Photography: A collection of curated images will portray the power of photography – one of the most personal and treasured means for capturing memories, telling stories and immortalizing the images of those we love. Capturing some of these stories in real-time, images shot by Instagram photographersDaniel Arnold (@arnold_daniel), @Roon and @JoshFromNY will create a photographic mosaic of various expressions of love from the exhibit’s own attendees
- Ancient Communications: An interactive look back to history’s early incarnations of “love notes” through cave drawings, smoke signals, hieroglyphics, cuneiform, runes, symbology, Morse Code and other historical communication forms
- The Rise of Emoji: The final installation tracks the evolution and many incarnations of the modern day emoji and features “Heart,” an original sculpture by Brooklyn-based artist Shinji Murakami, who brings to life a retro 8-bit image of a heart emoji into 3D. The installation leads to an immersive PepsiMoji experience, complete with facial recognition technology matching your expressions with a PepsiMoji design for social sharing.
Following a private, star-studded opening night celebration on Thursday, July 14th, Love: From Cave to Keyboard, imagined by Pepsi will be open to the public. Located at 433 Broadway in the heart of SoHo in Manhattan, the exhibit is free and open from 10:00 am – 6:00 pm on Saturday, July 16th and Sunday, July 17th.
This year, Pepsi took the world’s global language – emojis – offline inviting consumers to “Say It With Pepsi” by unleashing over 1,000 proprietary PepsiMoji designs in more than 100 markets connecting people around the world through unique and provocative ways. The PepsiCo Design & Innovation Center created the catalogue of globally and locally relevant designs for a universal visual language system for the brand. To experience the full range, download the PepsiMoji Keyboard App for free on the Apple App and Google Play stores.
PepsiCo products are enjoyed by consumers one billion times a day in more than 200 countries and territories around the world. PepsiCo generated more than $63 billion in net revenue in 2015, driven by a complementary food and beverage portfolio that includes Frito-Lay, Gatorade, Pepsi-Cola, Quaker and Tropicana. PepsiCo’s product portfolio includes a wide range of enjoyable foods and beverages, including 22 brands that generate more than $1 billion each in estimated annual retail sales. At the heart of PepsiCo is Performance with Purpose – our goal to deliver top-tier financial performance while creating sustainable growth and shareholder value. In practice, Performance with Purpose means providing a wide range of foods and beverages from treats to healthy eats; finding innovative ways to minimize our impact on the environment and reduce our operating costs; providing a safe and inclusive workplace for our employees globally; and respecting, supporting and investing in the local communities where we operate. For more information, visit www.pepsico.com.