The Nigeria Army says suspected Boko Haram terrorists ambushed and killed five soldiers, three vigilantes and one civilian Joint Task Force (JTF) member in the northeastern state of Borno over the weekend.
A statement issued by the Acting Director of Army Public Relations, Colonel Sani Usman, on Sunday said 19 other soldiers and one civilian JTF member sustained various degrees of injuries during the attack on Saturday.
Usman said the troops, being deployed under the army’s Operation Lafiya Dole, were ambushed by the terrorists at Ugundiri village in the Damboa Local Government Area, while returning to base after operations against suspected Boko Haram terrorists hideouts in Talala and Ajigin in the southern part of Borno.
“The bodies of the late soldiers and civilians have been evacuated to Maiduguri, while the injured are receiving medical care and are in stable condition,” he added.
Usman said the troops destroyed the terrorists’ gun truck and recovered two anti-aircraft guns, two spare gun barrels, one general purpose machine gun, one rocket propelled grenade, one AK-47 rifle and 320 rounds of 7.62mm ammunition.
He said that troops had been mobilised into blocking positions to further neutralise fleeing Boko Haram terrorists. Usman said that another detachment of troops had earlier cleared Zira, Abulam, Dusula, and Buk villages before returning to base in Bulabulin.
In a related development, the army spokesman said that based on information received about a gathering of some suspected Boko Haram terrorists around Bori village, 16 km from Mainok, on the outskirts of Maiduguri, troops swung into action and neutralised them.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK.