Awada (Onitsha North LGA)-Gov. Willie Obiano of Anambra has paid sympathy visit to Patterson Grammar School, Awada, Onitsha over fire incident at the school on Jan. 6.

The fire burnt down one of the school hostels, claiming life of one of the students, simply identified as Chinagoro.

The Governor who expressed shock at the extent of damage caused by the fire described the incident as very unfortunate.

He condoled with the management of school, the family of late student and the Anglican Bishop on the Niger, Right Rev. Owen Nwokolo.

He prayed God to grant them the fortitude to bear the great loss.

The Governor was represented by the Secretary to the State Government Prof. Solo Chukwulobelu.

He assured that the fire Service in the state would soon embark on aggressive fire safety management sensitisation in schools and public places in the state to minimise the menace.

Anambra State Fire Chief, Mr Martin Agbili, an engineer, pointed out that fire could be a result of power surge.

He urged the public to always ensure that electrical appliances would be switched off at power sources, when they were not in use to avoid fire breaks.

He also enjoined the public to always be prompt in alerting the state Fire Service, pointing out that Government of Anambra had equipped the fire service with all necessary modern fire-fighting equipment.

Principal of the School, Dr Cajetan Anuforo said that the fire started around 10pm at night on Sunday when the students were at the devotion ground for head count and resumption retreat after the Christmas Holiday.

The Anglican Bishop on the Niger, Rev. Nwokolo thanked the Governor for the visit, pleading for support for the family of the student and the school to help put the facility back in shape.

The actual course of the fire had yet to be ascertained.

Source: Anambra State Government