The Minister of Information and Culture, Mr. Lai Mohammed has confirmed the release of some of the abducted secondary school girls in Dapchi, Yobe state, North East Nigeria about a month ago.
The students were released in the early hours of Wednesday, 21 March 2018.
It would be recalled that President Muhammadu Buhari had directed all security agencies to do everything possible to secure the release of the Dapchi schoolgirls, who were abducted 19 Feb. 2018.
In a statement issued in Abuja on Wednesday, the Minister of Information and Culture, Mr. Lai Mohammed, said the 76 are those who have been documented so far, adding that the release of the abducted students is ongoing.
He said the girls were released around 3 a.m. through back-channel efforts and with the help of some friends of the country, and that it was unconditional.
For the release to work, the government had a clear understanding that violence and confrontation would not be the way out as it could endanger the lives of the girls, hence a non-violent approach was the preferred option.
Within the period when the girls were being brought back, operational pause was observed in certain areas to ensure free passage and also that lives were not lost, Mohammed said.
He said the number of the freed girls would be updated after the remaining ones have been documented, especially because the girls were not handed over to anyone but dropped off in Dapchi.
It would be recalled that about a month ago, suspected boko haram insurgents raided the secondary school in Dapchi, in Yobe state and made away with 110 school girls.
Source: Voice of Nigeria