1. Following reports by the Nigerian Hydrological Serves that communities and states on the banks of the River Niger and River Benue will be affected by sustained heavy rains expected in the month of September in West African countries through which the River Niger runs its course, the Anambra State Government hereby advises people in flood-prone communities to start getting ready to vacate these places and move to safer areas.
2. The communities in the following local government areas will be affected in particular: Anambra West, Anambra East, Onitsha South, Onitsha North, Ogbaru, Ihiala, Ayamelum, and Awka North.
3. As it has done in recent years, the Anambra State Government is providing Holding Centres where the affected people will stay until the floods recede. The Anambra State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) has been given a list of the designated centres, which it will announce shortly. These centres will be provided with clean water, mattresses, bed sheets, blankets, mosquito nets, buckets and all necessary sanitary facilities. They will also be given drugs, and medical personnel like doctors, nurses and pharmacists will be available to attend to them promptly. Water ambulances will, in addition, be made available.
4. Security agents drawn from the Nigeria Police Force, Nigerian Navy, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps and Anambra State Vigilante Group will ensure excellent security throughout the clock.
5. Chairmen of the Transition Committees of the relevant LGAs are to get in touch with SEMA for briefing on the implementation of the measures to mitigate the impact of the heavy floods in our state.
6. All Ndi Anambra are enjoined to rise to this challenge like members of one united family. Civil Society Organisations are once again called upon to demonstrate their well-known solidarity with the human family. Philanthropists in our midst who have always shown milk of human kindness in emergencies like this one are encouraged to play their brother’s keepers.
Source: Anambra State Government