The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has conducted a fresh air strikes against Boko Haram in the Northeast of Bornu state.
The air force jets bombed and damaged suspected militants hideouts on the outskirts of Tumbin Gini and Tumbin Kayewa in the area.
NAF Director of Public Relations, Ayodele Famuyiwa in a statement said the air strikes were a result of ground based intelligence and successive Intelligence Surveillance.
The latest strike was part of Nigerian government’s efforts to eliminate the terrorist from the region.
Famuyiwa said the F-7Ni and the Alpha jets of the Nigerian air force were used for the bombing operation.
“The air offensive of the NAF has continued to deny the terrorists any hiding place and room for maneuver. This has enabled unhindered advance by the surface forces as part of the ongoing Operation GAMA AIKI,” he said in the statement.
Referring to the previous air strikes conducted by the air force on Aug 26 targeting Boko Haram camps at Tumbin Rego, the officer said they had succeeded in killing “many high ranking members of the group.”
The abduction of some 300 school girls from a school in Chibok, most of whom are still in captivity had made international headlines.
Meanwhile, a recent attack by the suspected Boko Haram group outside a village church in Chibok has left about 8 people dead.
A local resident said the incident was carried out by gunmen on bicycles, local media reports.
Meanwhile, UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund, says for the year 2016, it has received 40% of the $11 million it needs for humanitarian support in northeast Nigeria.
They are however appealing to the donor community to increase support to meet the urgent needs of victims, especially women and girls.
“Women and girls in north-east Nigeria face a severe crisis as they struggle to cope with acute malnutrition, sexual violence and exploitation, severe trauma, high rates of maternal death and other risks to their health and well-being,” said UNFPA Executive Director, Dr. Babatunde Osotimehin.
Women and girls in north-east Nigeria face a severe crisis as they struggle to cope with acute malnutrition, sexual violence and exploitation, severe trauma, high rates of maternal death and other risks to their health and well-being.
“Meeting their urgent needs demands a strengthened response,” he added.
The UNFPA boss was speaking days after the Nigerian army together with development partners officially handed over 566 rescued women and children to the Borno State government.
The handing over was done by the General Officer Commanding the 7th Div. of the Nigerian Army, Brig. Gen. Ezugwu.
Since the beginning of this year, the army has helped rescue over 800,000 persons from the Boko Haram sect, most of whom have been deprived of all forms of humanitarian aid for years and need urgent life-saving support.
The UNFPA said it was working with partners to scale up its response especially in Borno State, home of 70% of displaced persons. Boko Haram instigated violence has displaced over 2 million people in Nigeria’s northeast.
The UN agency is looking to expand services for sexual and reproductive health and for preventing and tackling gender-based violence, so as to reach 4.5 million affected people.
So far in 2015 and 2016, UNFPA has reached 3.2 million people with information and services for sexual and reproductive health, and against gender-based violence, in areas affected by the insurgency.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK