ABUJA, A Nigerian non-governmental organization (NGO), Women in Need, has called for massive awareness campaign against cooking with firewood to stem cases of deaths arising from smoke inhalation.
Its executive director, Biola Kamardeen, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Kaduna in northwestern Nigeria that many women were dying from smoke inhaled while cooking with firewood. Kamardeen attributed the increasing cases of deaths to firewood smoke inhalation, particularly among women, as being caused by ignorance.
Kamardeen noted that women were at particular risk because they were the ones most involved in cooking with firewood.
They sit around the fire while cooking, with eyes becoming red, noses dripping, and sometimes with babies strapped to their backs,” she said.
She added that the NGO would sensitise women to the dangers of cooking with firewood and the need to embrace the use of alternative clean cooking stoves.
She urged other NGOs, civil society organizations, community-based organization, religious bodies as well as the government to support the campaign to prevent the unacceptable deaths among women.
Another NGO, Women’s Initiative for Sustainable Environment (WISE), recently said that more than 93,000 Nigerians, mostly women, died annually of smoke inhalation as a result of cooking with firewood.
WISE had said that cooking breakfast, lunch and dinner with firewood was equivalent to smoking more than three packets of cigarettes a day.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK