Medicine

NIGERIAN TROOPS KILL 14 BOKO HARAM MILITANTS IN NORTHERN STATE AS ANOTHER CHIBOK GIRL RESCUED

Nigerian troops has repelled an attack on a military formation in the northeastern state of Borno and killed 14 suspected Boko Haram fighters, an army spokesman said on Saturday.

Terror group Boko Haram launched the attack on the 119 Battalion of the Nigerian Army in Malam Fatori area of Borno State, said Sani Usman, spokesman of the army.

The troops also recovered one General Purpose Machine Gun, seven AK-47 rifles and a large quantity of ammunition during the gun fight, he said, adding ongoing mopping up had been intensified in the area.

In the fighting, Sani said, a Lieutenant Colonel, the commanding officer of the 272 Task Force Tank Battalion, was killed together with four other soldiers while four others sustained varying degrees of injury.

Barely two months ago, the late army commander was given an accelerated promotion from the rank of Major to Lieutenant Colonel, for his “exceptional bravery and gallantry” in fighting Boko Haram.

The Nigerian government has launched several military operations over the past months to eliminate the terror group, which emerged in northeast Nigeria’s Borno region.

Meanwhile, Sani said the Nigerian army has identified a Chibok girl who recently escaped from Boko Haram.

He said in a separate statement that the troops of 121 Battalion deployed at Pulka, an area in Gwoza district of Borno State, discovered the girl while screening some escapees from Boko Haram terrorists’ hideout in Sambisa forest early Saturday.

“She was discovered to be carrying a 10-month-old son,” the army spokesman said, adding the girl and her baby have been taken to a medical facility for proper medical check-up.

More than 200 schools girls were seized by armed men who stormed their dormitories on the night of April 14, 2014, at the Girls Secondary School in Chibok. Some had managed to escape while others remained unaccounted for.

On Oct. 13, 21 girls were freed following negotiations between the Nigerian government and Boko Haram, which claimed responsibility for the abduction.

The Nigerian government said it will continue with the negotiations for the release of other girls still in Boko Haram’s captivity.

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK.