1. The Chairman of the PTF-Covid-19 opened his statement today by paying tribute to journalists on the occasion of this year’s World Press Freedom Day, which was observed globally yesterday.
2. As the Honourable Minister of Information and Culture, I have a sacred duty and obligation to pay tribute to all journalists on the occasion of the observance of the World Press Freedom Day, set aside by the UN, on the recommendations of UNESCO in 1993, to celebrate the fundamental principles of Press Freedom.
3. The fight against the Covid-19 pandemic has been made more difficult by misinformation and fake news. And we have had to rely on you journalists, working right in the frontline, to deliver timely and accurate information to the populace
4. So, to all of you gentlemen of the press sitting here, and indeed to all journalists across the country and around the world, we commend your sacrifice and hard work.
5. You and the other frontline workers are the heroes of this fight against Covid-19, and urge you not to relent until the virus has been defeated.
6. Thank you very much
Source: Federal Ministry of Information and Culture