Lifestyle

SOUTH AFRICAN TRUCK DRIVER INVOLVED IN ACCIDENT KILLING 18 PEOPLE REMANDED

NELSPRUIT, SOUTH AFRICA, The driver of the truck which collided with two minibus taxis, killing 18 people, last week, has been remanded in custody.

Sebastian Macuacua, 35, appeared in the Magistrate’s Court in Belfast, about 120 kilometres west of this capiatal of Mpumalanga Province, on Monday. He is facing 18 counts of culpable homicide.

The State opposed bail, arguing that Macuacua, a Mozambique national, could evade prosecution by leaving the country and is considered a flight risk.

Investigating officer Charl Van Der Berg told the court that the accused was negligent. According to three witnesses, the truck was driving on the wrong side of the road.

However, Macuacua’s lawyer, Chris van Vuuren disagreed, and told the court that the two minibus taxis were racing against each other. Van Vuuren said his client co-operated with the authorities and added that he would not interfere with the investigations.

Van Vuuren told the court that Macuacua was the sole bread winner and could not afford to lose his job.

Bail hearing has been postponed to Friday.

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK